Wednesday 18 November 2015

"Are you asian? Cus I'm Chin-a get on you!"

You won't believe some of the things I've had shouted, catcalled, yelled and just thrown in my face before.

"Your legs look tasty, just like a pair of golden spring rolls!"
"Do you want to come home with me and practise some Kung Fu moves in bed?"
"Yee-haw cowgirl! Where are you trotting off to today my love?"
"Would you like a taste of my sweet and sour chicken balls?"
"They don't make them like you back in Thailand!"
(Yep, sadly, all of them have happened...)
Some of them have been just plain racist. Some have been pure sexual and gross. Most of them inaccurate. Many of them just don't make any sense.
But all of them, are not ok!
This is not me bragging about getting attention - I'm perfectly happy and confident in myself, but on the other hand, I'm also not a leggy Victoria Secrets angel strutting down the street, you know what I mean? I'm just going about my day y'all.
This is me just sick of this happening. And the worst thing is, when you talk about it, there are those people who just DON'T get it and will no doubt say 'Oh, but they're just trying paying you a compliment! It's nice! Stop being such a whiny cow about it!'
It's almost like if you're a female, and you take the courage to speak out about something you feel uncomfortable about, you're labelled a mardy, feminist, bitch.
First of all, comments like that aren't a compliment! 
You have nice eyes, I really like how passionate you are about your career, that bag is amazing ,  you're make me proper LOL, I really like spending time with you - THOSE are compliments!
Second of all, these are strangers. I don't know you from Adam mate - what do you expect to happen when you shout comments like that to people? That they'll think 'my god, that's what I've always wanted to hear! Please let's go on a date so I can hear more and we can talk about how we're going to spend our lives together' No. Nop. Big bag of nop. Not gonna happen now is it?

If you were with your girlfriend, sister, daughter or female friend and someone shouted something like that to them down the street, you wouldn't be OK with it would you?
But you see, the thing is, you'd never see that happening because sadly, it only happens really happens when they're not with any guys or if you're alone. Cowards. 
Instances like this, I like to stand up for myself. I like to tell people that, 'Dya know what? I don't feel ok with that and it made me a bit uncomfortable' and hope that they maybe even realise why and think twice about doing it in the future. 
But it's sad when you end up have to pick and choose which battles you're gonna stick up for yourself, because you simply don't have the energy to tackle them all.

I've honestly been too intimidated to walk past a bunch of lads shouting stuff at me before, so have crossed the road or gone a different way. That's what it comes down to.

And there is no reason on earth I, or any other girl or person, should ever have to feel like that.

So, can we just not please?

Until next time,
A.x


No comments:

Post a Comment